Old January 7th 12, 10:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe
Ross[_3_] Ross[_3_] is offline

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could it happen here...??

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 21:35:40 +0000 [UTC], wrote:
On 06/01/2012 10:57, Paul Rigg wrote:

I think his point was, and I think he is right, that the DDR authorities
allowed anyone to cross the wall who was either not one of their own
nationals or a national of another country (ie the Eastern Block) with
whom they had an agreement to stop travel.

Did Soviet officers often cross into West Berlin for the day?

According to a website of "memories of US officers in Berlin" I
stumbled over some time back (which was rather interesting reading),
it wasn't that unusual for their plain clothes intelligence patrols
when driving around West Berlin to find themselves following a Soviet
plain clothes intelligence patrol.

I make no claims for the truth or otherwise of that claim, before Lüko
starts ranting.
--
Ross

Speaking for me, myself and I. Nobody else
- unless I make it clear that I am...