Old January 7th 12, 11:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could ithappen here...??

On 07/01/2012 21:52, Ian wrote:
wrote in message
On 06/01/2012 10:57, Paul Rigg wrote:
I think his point was, and I think he is right, that the DDR authorities
allowed anyone to cross the wall who was either not one of their own
nationals or a national of another country (ie the Eastern Block) with
whom they had an agreement to stop travel.

Did Soviet officers often cross into West Berlin for the day?

Some most certainly did. To keep an eye on the allies, and also to provide a
guard at Spandau Prison. That is why the Russians would not free him.

The West also had military missions into East Berlin.

I know that the Soviet War Memorial was in West Berlin, and that the
Soviets also had an honour guard posted there.

But I wonder how many just came across for the day to have lunch or
something of that nature.