Old January 9th 12, 09:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe
Colin Youngs Colin Youngs is offline

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could it happen here...??

schreef
: What were the stipulations when West Germans or individuals from Western
: countries crossed into East Berlin? By this, I mean could they only go
: over for the day or could they stay a few days?

In 1987 as a UK passport holder I crossed from West Berlin to East Berlin
for a day trip - travelling on the S-Bahn to Friedrichstrasse station - on
the strength of a day visa issued by the GDR authorities at the border
control point in the station.

If I remember correctly, it was also compulsory to exchange a certain sum in
West German marks for East German currency - I forget exactly how much.

Colin Youngs
Brussels