Old January 9th 12, 09:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe
Lüko Willms[_2_] Lüko Willms[_2_] is offline

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could ithappen here...??

Am 09.01.2012 22:29, schrieb :
What were the stipulations when West Germans or individuals from Western
countries crossed into East Berlin? By this, I mean could they only go
over for the day or could they stay a few days?

It seems to me that visitors coming in were restricted only to East
Berlin and needed a separate visa to move around the country, yes?

Correct.

The simple way was the day pass. One had to go back to the West
before midnight (I once came at the checkpoint half past midnight, and
was gently, but thoroughly searched. The GDR cops showed more respect
than the FRG ones). One had to change 25 DM into DDR-Mark; good for
buying books. Finally I learned that I could also deposit the money not
spent at the GDR national bank (which later was taken over by Deutsche
Bank).

Cheers,
L.W.