Old January 9th 12, 10:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe
Colin Youngs Colin Youngs is offline

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could it happen here...??

"Lüko Willms" schreef

: Am 09.01.2012 22:29, schrieb :
: What were the stipulations when West Germans or individuals from Western
: countries crossed into East Berlin?

: The simple way was the day pass. ... One had to change 25 DM into
DDR-Mark; good for
: buying books.

.... and lunch. I spent most of my 25 DDR-Mark on a copy of this book:
Berliner Vedutenmalerei
http://bernhard.antiquariatsportal.d...unstmappe.html .

I still have it - as well as the East German coins I was left with at the
end of the day.

During that day trip, I was twice approached in the street in East Berlin by
"agents provocateurs" asking me to exchange DDR-Mark for DM. I was wise
enough to refuse ...

Colin Youngs
Brussels