Old January 10th 12, 10:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could ithappen here...??

On 09/01/2012 22:59, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
wrote
in :

I wonder where I can find any information specifically about the East
Berlin U-Bhan, such as its history, operations and development.

There is no such thing as the East Berlin U-Bahn. The U-Bahn, just as
the S-Bahn and tram systems, existed long before the city was divided,
on both would-be sides of teh wall. East Berlin inherited merely two
lines of the previous common system, or more precisely one complete and
one half of a severed line.

You are indeed correct.

I should have said that I would be interested in finding our more
information about the operating part of the U-Bahn that was in East
Berlin when the city was divided. I do not refer to the U-Bahn lines
from West Berlin that traversed East German territory.

I am interested in knowing about its operations, who the operating
authority was and development.

In addition, I hope to find out more about the rolling stock used at
that time.

No "Gisela" trains were small profile stock only suitable to run on the
small profile line U2. U5 is large profile which therefore needs a
different set of rolling stock. Both lines used originally (seperate
sets of) pre-war rolling stock. The G ("Gisela") stock was a 1970s
construction to replace that. Concernint the large profile, they had
difficulties replacing the old stock. For a long time they used
rededicated S-Bahn stock (stock E), in the 1980s they bought disused
stock D trains from West Berlin. All of which are now in Pyongyang.

I read somewhere that Giselas were already pulled from revenue service
in Pyongyang, and that they are now using Dorotas. I wonder if they
continue to use the original Chinese rolling stock in revenue service
anywhere on the system, though I saw pictures of some of them having
been converted for service on the national network. Don't know in what
capacity, however.