Old January 12th 12, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

wrote in message

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 15:34:13 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
the superbly comfortable 1938 stock. I know it has some technical
advantages, like regen brakes and more advanced ATO, but it's less
comfortable and less reliable than the stock it replaced, without
providing any extra space.

If they hadn't used such ridiculously thick walls behind the seats
they could have provided quite a bit more standing room. The trains
are slightly larger externally but you'd never know it inside. All
they've achieved by that is making sure the trains can't run on any
other tube line and have to be taken away by road for anything that
can't be done at northumberland park. Not the brightest decision LU
have ever made.

But was it LU's decision, or Metronet's? I don't think LU had very much
say in the design of the 2009 and S stock, as long as it met the basic
spec. It was also not put out to tender -- Bombardier, as one of the
Metronet partners, got the order automatically.