Old January 13th 12, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul G Paul G is offline

Default Oyster and Travelcard Availability

In message om, Peter
Lawrence writes
See www.metroline.co.uk/news-item.html?id=29 which announces this
change from 2.1.12. Holders of TfL tickets can however get a reduced
fare of £1.35 between New Barnet and Potters Bar.

For as long as I can remember Oystercards and Bus Passes have been
accepted on the 84 (I grew up in Potters Bar a couple of decades ago) -
it was an excellent "value" way of travelling into Town all the way by
bus. I'm amazed that this has been changed (and could be changed)
without any TfL publicity. Thanks for flagging it up (the original)
Peter.

The 84 was was also a non DDA compliant bus long after all the rest of
the buses had been converted to low floors models (and press releases
had gone out to state that the entire network was converted). It seemed
to swap over (and go to being a single decker) shortly after I posted
TfL an email pointing this out (but that could just be my false
recollection).

It's at the periphery of the network and obviously doesn't have the same
status as other bus routes, so seems to get overlooked. Once upon a
time it did get some Hertfordshire County Council funding I seem to
recall to run its Sunday services, but I've no idea if that still
happens. The all-red TfL livery does confuse though, as one expects it
to operate on the same criteria as all the other TfL liveried buses
(e.g. aforementioned ticket acceptance).

I've lobbed TfL an email because I'm curious about this lack of
information. Shall post the results when I hear.

--
Paul G
Typing from Kentish Town