Old February 20th 04, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Liney Dave Liney is offline

Default New Tax Discs

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:37:54 -0000, "Dave Liney" wrote:

You have to remember that these are the idiots who wasted good money
inventing the new number plate system which pandered to the motor

industry.

In what way does it pander to the motor industry? Changing the 'year
identifier' twice a year was brought in with the old single letter
identifier scheme.

Which is exactly what happened with the yearly letter change and then the

6
monthly nonsense which resulted from the august sales glut.

You seem to have missed the point that the twice yearly changeover has
nothing to do with the new system but was already in place before it was
introduced. There was no change in the time of identifier change with the
introduction of the new system.

As I understand it the car industry would much rather not
have a change at set points in the year but rather have a continuous

series
and so reduce the peaks and troughs in car sales after and before the
changeover time.

Pardon my french, but F*ck the car industry. Other countries manage just
fine without changing a year identifier every 6 months.

If you actually read what I had posted you would have realised that I said
that the car industry does not want the changeover at 12 months or 6 months,
they would rather have a continuous series. Which apparently you are
suggesting but feel the need to disagree with me.

Dave.