Old January 15th 12, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe
Lüko Willms[_2_] Lüko Willms[_2_] is offline

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could ithappen here...??

Am 15.01.2012 19:39, schrieb :
I ask, because I noticed that some tracks simply stopped short of the
border, literally cut, when I visited Berlin in 1999,

was that really in the year of 1999?

Do you remember the exact place you were then? The U-Bahn system has
been restored to its pre-wall status in 1995 with all previous
cross-border connections operational. But the same thing cannot be said
for the S-Bahn and mainline rail even today. So I assume your memory is
not from the U-Bahn.

It was indeed on the U-Bahn. The station was elevated but covered. Just
beyond the station, the track curved slightly to the right and went over
a steel bridge. Literally below that bridge were railroad tracks that
simply stopped, literally cut before the border.

How did this border look like?

There are few elevated U-Bahn stations where both railway tracks
could be seen underneath, and even more a border nearby.

The only site which I can imagine is Gleisdreieck, an elevated
crossing station in two levels, which is located above a large area
which used to be railway yards and lines, leading to the railway
stations Potsdamer Bahnhof and Anhalter Bahnhof, which had been out of
use for decades.

The functioning lines there -- until the Fernbahntunnel Nord-Süd had
been built -- are the S-Bahn lines diving into the tunnel leading to the
S-Bahn station Anhalter Bahnhof.

Looking from the U2 platform (aligned north-south) at its southern
end, the U-Bahn viaduct makes a turn to the right (but eventually a 90°
turn), crosses the old railway territory, and then vanishes in the front
buildings lining that area at the west.

Cheers,
L.W.