Old January 17th 12, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Kings Cross exhibition

In message , at 03:15:27
on Tue, 17 Jan 2012, remarked:
One of the changes they've made in the last year or two (I can't say
exactly when) was to rope off a corridor across the old concourse in
front of the departure board. I suppose that directs people towards
the newish stairs down to the tube station, but it does reduce the
number of people filtering through the waiting crowds.

You have misunderstood the purpose of that corridor. If you look carefully
you can see that it was created because the route between the halves of the
train shed near the platform ends has been gated off so there is otherwise
no route to the barriers opposite platforms 0-4 from the ends of the other
platforms.

Hmm, why would you want to get to platforms 0-4 *from* platforms 5-8,
without first standing around in the crowd waiting to see which platform
you want? Although that's a bit recursive, because until the platform's
announced you don't know you need to head for p0-4.

I don't see much need for a "bypass" there for passengers catching
trains who happen to be near platform 8 when their number is called, but
it's heavily used by people leaving p0-4.