Old January 20th 12, 09:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
John Levine John Levine is offline

Default e-zpass, CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

I also tend to believe that toll booths will be dismantled and that
cars will be able to travel at normal speeds on a motorway while readers
mounted on a frame over it will simply read the transponders.

I saw that once on the New Jersey Turnpike.

Garden State Parkway, actually.

For those cars that are either from out of town or lacking a
transponder, they will have cameras with license plate recognition
software.

That's how the Sunpass tolls in Florida, the 407 in Toronto, and the
A25 bridge in Montreal work. They don't take cash. I hear that
people from Vermont can travel on the 407 for free, because VT won't
provide plate info. Dunno about A25 and Sunpass.

R's,
John