Old February 20th 04, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Davey Davey is offline

Default Aldwych : Proposals in the 60s

On a related theme, I rememer reading that the Fleet line tunnels extended
as far as Wellington Street, which is where the Lyceem theatre stands, IE
just west of the Aldwich.

David

"Sam Holloway" wrote in message
I was reading an edition of "London's Underground" (1) from the
mid-1960s, and it mentions three extension proposals that were ongoing
at the time. Two of these - the Victoria extension to Brixton and the
Fleet Line - went ahead (although of course the plans for the Fleet
Line changed greatly over the successive years).

The third was extending the Aldwych branch of the Piccadilly through
to Waterloo. I was aware that this had been considered as it's been
mentioned here before, and on a couple of websites, including CULG.

But what I didn't know is that, according to this book, the necessary
'powers have been granted'. That implies planning got to a rather
advanced stage. So my question : is that really the case, and what
happened that brought things to a halt?

Sam

(1) Don't have the book to hand so can't give accurate title, author
or publication date, but I can do so at a later stage if it's of help.
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge