Old January 21st 12, 07:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
tim.... tim.... is offline

Default London Congestion Zone charge

"Stephen Sprunk" wrote in message
On 21-Jan-12 00:13, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
at 21:08:37 on Fri, 20 Jan 2012, Adam H. Kerman
remarked:

Off-hand I can only think of three toll routes in the UK, plus the
London Congestion Zone (which I think doesn't have a transponder).

I realise toll routes are much more common in the USA.

I didn't realize there were no transponders. It's enforced entirely
with photographs of license plates?

Even toll roads in the USA are enforced by photographs of licence plates

No one enforces toll collection with photographs of license plates as
the primary system of enforcement. It supplements transponders.

That depends on what you mean by "primary". CTRMA (Austin, TX) and NTTA
(Dallas/Ft Worth, TX) give discounts for using a transponder, but those
without are simply billed by mail at the cash rate. As long as the bill
is paid on time, there are no fines.

how does all this work with rental cars?

The last time I drove on a turnpike I handed over a dollar bill to a man in
a kiosk

tim