Old January 22nd 12, 03:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default cashless tolls, was London Congestion Zone charge

In message , at 15:56:42 on Sun, 22 Jan
2012, John Levine remarked:
how does all this work with rental cars?

Presumably the same as it does with speeding citations. You get a bill
from the rental car company after the fact along with a hefty administrative
surcharge.

It's the "hefty administrative surcharge" I was concerned about.

In my actualy experience, the surcharge is $2 or $3. You can decide whether that
counts as hefty, in the context of everything else you pay for a car rental.

Considering that people often pay $10/day for the rental company's overpriced
insurance, it doesn't seem very hefty to me.

Perhaps it depends how many tolls you go through, and whether they
consolidate the bill. When I was in a hire car in USA last summer we
went through maybe five or six each way per day on a "road trip". We
were paying cash, but I was aware they had cameras to send bills to
people using the transponder lane without having a transponder.