Old January 23rd 12, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default Farewell To The Bendy Bus

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:42:30 -0000
"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote:
People in this group and others talk about double decker trains not being
as a
good a solution for transporting a lot of passengers compared to longer
single
deck trains because of dwell times at stations yet for some reason that
logic
goes out the window when appled to buses.

Part of that is rooted in the different considerations on dwell times and
the speed of boarding/disembarking. The height restrictions of many rail

Dwell times of buses make a lot of difference to traffic stuck behind them.

4DDs were an especially cramped design. Plus railways can include ticket
checks before boarding, a feature not easily built into buses.

Buses can include conductors which is what boris is suggesting for his
vanity project. Which means he could equally have put them on bendy buses
and the whole fair evasion issue would have disappeared.

The only reason I can see is some
misty eyed nostaligia for double decker buses. God knows why.

Reasons aplenty have been given on this thread and others for why the double
decker is preferred. If you choose not to see them then you choose not to
see them.

When I see a good reason I'll get back to you.

B2003