Old January 23rd 12, 12:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Adam H. Kerman Adam H. Kerman is offline

Default Stating prices at retail inclusive of taxes (was: E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?))

wrote:
On 22/01/2012 21:52, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

There's also the time it takes to count the customer's money and, if
applicable, make change. This is particularly bad in the US since taxes
are not included in the price, so the total due is rarely known before
the order is rung up.

Why is that, I wonder? I think that is also the case with the GST and
PST in Canada.

Here in many (if not all) parts of Europe, the price that you pay for
something already has relevant taxes figured in.

Yet here in the United States, when prices for airline travel and hotel
rooms are stated, they included taxes. In Europe, travel prices are
more often stated without all taxes included.

Motor fuel prices are stated with all taxes included.