Old January 24th 12, 12:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Michael Finfer Michael Finfer is offline

Default Stating prices at retail inclusive of taxes

On 1/23/2012 5:16 PM, wrote:
On Jan 23, 9:18 am, "Adam H. wrote:

Different sales tax rates apply to different goods in my state. Also, in
my state, newspapers and magazines are not taxed. It's really obnoxious
to impose all these high sales tax collection costs on merchants.

In my state, newspapers are not taxed, but magazines are taxed. It
got funny with certain periodicals like TV Guide--was that a
"newspaper" or a "magazine"? Different merchants charged it in
different ways.

In my state, most clothes are not taxes, but a few types of clothing
are taxed. Don't know why that is. My state does not tax candy bars,
but it seems that other states do. My state does tax soda.

I wonder how many states tax newspapers. I was surprised to be
charged sales tax in Washington, DC when I bought a paper.

I know you live in NJ also, and you don't have it quite right. NJ does
tax candy, but you have to read the ingredients to determine the
tax-ability of an item. If it contains flour, it is not considered to
be candy, and it is not taxable, things like Kit Kats and Nestle's Crunch.

NJ taxes soft drinks, not just soda, defined as a drink that does not
need refrigeration before opening, that is sweetened, and that is less
than 50% juice. This results in some items being taxed that you would
probably consider to be juice.

NJ taxes newsstand sales of periodicals but not mail subscriptions.

Most states do not tax newspapers, usually defined as periodicals that
are qualified carry legal notices. A few states and DC do tax newspapers.

Also, NJ taxes the extremely expensive fine fur and leather goods (no
other clothing), presumably because if you can afford to buy those, you
can afford the tax. Of the states that exempt clothing, there is some
variation in the definition of what's clothing and what's an accessory,
resulting in variations in taxation.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ