Old January 24th 12, 05:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
spsffan spsffan is offline

Default Stating prices at retail inclusive of taxes

On 1/23/2012 7:54 PM, Roger Traviss wrote:
It's not an FTC rule. It's a US DOT rule, according to several news
articles
I've read. No, it is NOT acceptable to list the price, net of taxes and
fees, in large type, with the total price in small type. The new rule
on advertising total prices including taxes and fees takes effect on the
26th.

I cannot find anything similar for hotel quotes, though.

In America, on goods subject to sales taxes, practically 100% of pricing is
always without local, state taxes. They are added at the time of payment.

In Canada, because we have a value added tax and depending on what province
you live in as it varies, shown prices will not include federal and
provincial taxes. These are also added at the time of payment.

Indeed. I do love Canada, its people, including the many expats (here in
sunny Southern California) that I know, and it's beautiful landscape and
history.

But I do question the sanity of a country where you must pay tax on a
postage stamp. Is that still the case? It was in Vancouver in 1998. Oh,
and I mean federal VAT, not provincial taxes, as far as I recall.

Regards,

DAve