Old February 20th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Routemasters in Parliament.

Proctor46 wrote:
Viscount Hailsham is Member for Sleaford and North Hykeham.
Viscount Thurso is Member for Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross.
The Earl of Ancram (which is a courtesy title) is Member for Devizes.

these are de-frocked Lords

They are not de-frocked, if by that you mean that they have had to
renounce their peerages.

Viscount Hailsham (Douglas Hogg) succeeded to the title on the death of
his father in 2001, but under the House of Lords Act 1999, he has no
automatic right as a hereditary peer to sit in the House of Lords. He
therefore continues to be an MP in the Commons.

Viscount Thurso succeeded to the title in 1995 and sat in the House of
Lords until 1999. He did not stand in the election to decide which
hereditary peers should continue to sit in the Lords. He was elected an
MP at the 2001 election.

"Earl of Ancram" is a courtesy title that Michael Kerr, who calls
himself Michael Ancram, is entitled to use as the eldest son of the
Marquess of Lothian.

....and do not have the right to sit in the upper chamber

Agreed.

......i'm not 100% sure of my law but i think you can call
your self anyything you like as long as you dont comit a fraud.

- of which "Michael Ancram" is an example.
--
Richard J.