Old July 17th 03, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default the quest for safety

Yes, because anyone stupid enough to wander out into the road without
taking full cognisance of approaching traffic - 'right of way' or
not - deserves to die for the good of the gene pool.

Pedestrians are for the most part careful, and they have to be. A problem
is that car drivers have taken all the 'check there's nothing coming' advice
to pedestrians as unwritten authority to ignore the highway code and
bulldoze their way through.

The alleged 'right of way' of pedestrians is, in the real world, an
irrelevance; cars are big and hard, pedestrians are small and
squashy... You can't argue technicalities about "but I had the right
of way" once you're dead. Stop arsing around with theoretical
arguments about 'right of way' and just use the Green Cross Code/Kerb
Drill to cross the road safely.

Have you ever tried crossing a road in London? The traffic flow is
continuous, and cars don't indicate.

The best you can do is to look carefully, guess if anyone's going to turn
and if not, get across the road as quickly as possible. Although I've been
known to do it very slowly to allow old people to cross, knowing that I can
block the road much more visibly than they can as they inch out from the
kerb.

It's no good saying 'live in the real world, because things will never be
any better', we need to say 'live in the real world at the moment, but also
try and make things better for the future'.