Old January 30th 12, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Smyth Peter Smyth is offline

Default TfL use of English

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

In message of Mon,
30 Jan 2012 21:58:00 in uk.transport.london, Paul Cummins usethebl@sted
telephone.invalid writes
We were about to embark at Dover, when (Offramp)
came up to me and whispered:

My favourite incomprehensible sign is on most TfL buses:
"..Do not speak to or distract the driver's attention..."

Which used to day "do not speak to the driver or distract his attention
while the vehicle is in motion"

In which case, how do you ask him to stop?

On some London Underground platforms, while waiting for a train, I hear
something like "Ladies and gentleman, please stand behind the yellow
line at all times for your safety". How do I comply and board a train?

I believe you are expected to board the train backwards, thus still being
behind the line.

Peter Smyth