Old January 30th 12, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default TfL use of English

wrote on 31 January 2012
00:10:30 ...
On 30/01/2012 21:58, Paul Cummins wrote:
We were about to embark at Dover, when
(Offramp)
came up to me and whispered:

My favourite incomprehensible sign is on most TfL buses:
"..Do not speak to or distract the driver's attention..."

Which used to [say] "do not speak to the driver or distract his attention
while the vehicle is in motion"

Ah, yes, the gender-specific "his" had to go.

In which case, how do you ask him to stop?

Ring the bell?

No, that distracts his attention from his job which is to get to the
next meal break as fast as possible.
--
Richard J.