Old January 31st 12, 04:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
John Levine John Levine is offline

Default CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

"Adam H. Kerman" wrote:
I don't know what a transit system would do if it simply sold unlimited
ride passes with no credit bank to debit from. Does anyone know of
an example?

The ORCA card in use in the Puget Sound area does not necessarily have
to be linked to a credit card.

Same with the Clipper card used in the San Francisco area. A card can have both
passes and a cash balance for trips not covered by any of the passes. It works
on seven different transit systems and can handle a baffling array of passes and
discount plans. You can have a Muni monthly pass, and a BART High Value Discount
ticket which gives you $64 of BART credit for $60, as well as passes on other
systems and cash. Each agency's vending machines tend to sell its own pass as
well as loading cash.

Same with the PATH Smartlink card. You can add a daily, weekly, or
monthly pass for cash at vending machines.

There are doubtless others, but those are the ones I happen to have here.

R's,
John