Old January 31st 12, 08:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
John Levine John Levine is offline

Default CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

Same with the Clipper card used in the San Francisco area. *A card can have both
passes and a cash balance for trips not covered by any of the passes. *It works
on seven different transit systems and can handle a baffling array of passes and
discount plans. *You can have a Muni monthly pass, and a BART High Value Discount
ticket which gives you $64 of BART credit for $60, as well as passes on other
systems and cash.

Is BART credit stored separately from otehr agencies' credit?

I haven't actually tried this, but it is my impression that if you add
$60 as BART credit, you get $64 good only on BART, while if you add
$60 as cash, you get $60 good on anything.

In the NYC region, the 7% Metrocard bonus when you load at least $10
applies to the credit you can use on any agency that takes Metrocard.

Right. I agree that makes more sense, but I suspect that the issue
with the Clipper is that the agencies just moved their existing fare
structure onto Clipper. The other agencies have their own pass
programs and probably aren't interested in funding BART's discount
plan.

R's,
John