Old February 7th 12, 06:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default First rule of politics: If your opponent has a great idea, copyit!

On 06/02/2012 20:06, Mizter T wrote:

On Feb 6, 7:10 pm, Arthur wrote:

On 06/02/2012 14:50, Bruce wrote:

From the Evening Standard:

Boris bid to run every rail service in London

Boris Johnson today made a bid to take over every rail service in
London in a move described as the biggest shake-up since
privatisation.

The Mayor wants to control all suburban railways and introduce a
one-ticket system across Greater London.

Haven't we got one? Or would this be about squishing those nasty
point-to-point rail seasons in favour of multi-modal travelcards... at
twice the price. Or even breaking through ticketing to the world beyond
the M25.

We've got three different Oyster PAYG fare scales for single journeys
- one for TfL rail services (Tube, DLR, London Overground plus a few
NR routes as well), one for NR, and one for 'through journeys' that
involve both TfL and NR rated services. This understandably causes
some confusion - a single unified tariff would be preferable.

With Oyster, how many people actually know? I'm hearing more and more
people saying they basically trust they system to get it right, or at
least even out over time.

I must admit I didn't know Overground was different to the rest of NR.
How would know whether you get Overground or Southern for the trips
where both are possible?

The 'three tariff' situation is mirrored with paper ticket fares for
single journeys (and indeed return journeys - though off-peak, a Day
Travelcard is likely to be cheaper) - one fare scale for TfL/Tube, one
for NR, one for TfL-NR through journeys.

Haven't ever come across any suggestion that point-to-point rail
seasons would be squished, either under the proposals floated back
when Livingstone was Mayor, nor under any of these latest proposals.

Equally, has anyone denied it...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK