Old February 7th 12, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default LU jobsworths

wrote in message ...
On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 13:41:04 -0000
"michael adams" wrote:
As expected, the ticket machines wouldn't accept cash.

Perhaps I'm just an optimist but I had assumed they'd worked.

Eh ? You just posted this -

"As usual ticket machines not accepting cash so go to ticket window:"

In an ideal world "everything would work", "everyone would agree
with everybody else". "there would be enough of everything
to go round", and everybody would be happy" blah blah blah.

But life's not like that, is it ?

In such circumstances, unless you're stony broke and have no choice
in the matter, going anywhere with just £4.80 in cash in your
pocket is just dumb.

Whatever the circumstances.

You're aware of a notice saying that the ticket office clerk
couldn't accept less than £5 for Oyster top ups.

Actually I wasn't until he pointed to the tiny notice because I hardly ever
top up using small amounts of cash at the ticket window.

You're also presumably aware of the fact that this applies to all Oyster
Top-Ups made at ticket offices however funded.

You presume wrong.

to yourself, you still decided leave the house with only £4.80 in
cash.

Well since I only need to make one journey and I had enough money I assumed
it would be quicker to pay by cash but Johnny Jobsworth

Johnny Jobsworth - i.e somebody with a job he/she needs to hold onto,
in order to put a crust on the table. Unlike yourself and Esther Rantzen.

Esther Rantzen regularly got top ratings and so had no fear of losing her
job. What's your excuse I wonder ?

That £4.80 cash sounds mighty suspicious to me. Some sort of daily allowance
maybe ?

had other ideas.
So he ended up causing what the rule he was following was designed to prevent.
I'm fairly sure the irony was lost on him however.

And this is somehow all LU's fault.

Not somehow, its precisely LU's fault - not having working machines and
instigating a stupid rule. If the rule was any top-ups under 5 quid must be
cash only then fair enough , but to ban ANY top-ups under 5 quid at the
window is just bureaucracy taken to adsurd limits.

No it isn't. It saves Guardian reading tickets clerks from having
to agonise for minutes on end over whether to use their discretion
in particular circumstances.

In any case if your attitude on this NG is in any way typical of
your approach to LU staff, then I'd be surprised if any would ever
be tempted to show you any discretion under any circumstances.

So you'd stil be moaning, whatever the rule.

michael adams

B2003