Old February 10th 12, 10:21 AM
Robin9 Robin9 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I agree that the first thing is to establish our terms of reference. I also agree that "most" and "majority" mean 51% or more and that "regularly" should mean quite often.

It is true that many people in the outer suburbs do not use public transport frequently unless minicabs are regarded as public transport. These tend to be people who do not work in Central London. The majority of those who do work in Central London travel by public transport. What is quite certain is that buses in the outer suburbs are used by only a small minority which is why buses are almost empty for much of the day.

Any proper, rational attempt to understand the use and potential of public transport in London should take into consideration the fact that London has large numbers of elderly people who prefer door to door transport, who can no longer tolerate extreme weather and who find standing at a bus stop stressful. This is why minicabs are so prevalent in the outer suburbs. (If anyone doubts this, go to a suburban hospital or supermarket and watch)

I sympathise with Mr. Arbour's contention that for the most part public transport should be paid for by the people who use it. Although in general I am critical of Boris Johnson, I support his efforts to shift the balance of the burden from tax payers to users.