Old February 10th 12, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
77002 77002 is offline

Default Damned lies needed

On Feb 10, 8:47*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
00:02:31 on Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Arthur Figgis
remarked:

"It is a fact is it not that relatively few Londoners use London
transport in any way. Most people don’t use London transport with any
sense of regularity."
/quote

What do we reckon of the claim?

If "most" is to have the classic meaning, we'd be thinking of the
whether or not more than 50% use it 'regularly', which I'd suggest means
something like 'at least once a week' rather than 'only every 29th
February without fail'.

The "relatively few... in any way" is a much harder test, because then
you might be looking at showing that perhaps two thirds of Londoners
hadn't used a bus or tube at all in the last year (leaving the one third
who had). Of course, London is a big place and out in the suburbs there
might be a lot of people who only walk or drive.

Having looked at the report MizerT pointed us at, I wonder if it's
missing a large number of walking trips (despite having walking as quite
a large number). For example, is going to the corner shop for a sandwich
at lunchtime included?

The methodology says "A trip is a one-way movement from one place to
another to achieve a specific purpose (eg to go from home to work)", so
perhaps it wouldn't.

To some extent this reflects the issues raised by transfering the
boroughs south of the Thames from Surrey to London (1889 London County
Council and its successors).

With a few exceptions like the Northern Line to Morden and two
District Line Branches, the Southern Electric System (as was) does the
same job as LUL North of the Thames. Both are Rail, both are public
transportation. The statistics fail to reflect this reality.