Old February 20th 12, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Blackfriars has re-opened

On Feb 20, 1:30*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 12:38:15 on
Mon, 20 Feb 2012, Paul Scott remarked:

They have used an artists impression of the south bank rail station
entrance, and then wrongly described the tube station as having a new
south bank entrance.

Worse than that, don't you lose one Oyster "credit" if you use the
Blackfriars Thameslink Station as a footbridge to the tube, or am I
confused again?

You are, I'm afraid - when using Oyster PAYG, if you finish a Tube
journey at Blackfriars LU station, then if you wish you get 'free
passage' though Blackfriars NR/ Thameslink station i.e. across the
bridge over the river to the South Bank exit.

Likewise if you enter Blackfriars NR/ Thameslink station at the South
Bank entrance, walk across on the bridge and exit, then enter the LU
station you won't get charged anything extra for traversing through
the NR/ Thameslink station.

I tested the first scenario this evening just gone (i.e. Monday) using
a 'virgin' Oyster card - it was loaded with GBP2, enough for a zone 1
Tube journey - I started at a zone 1 Tube station, got off at
Blackfriars LU and exited via the LU gates, then entered the NR gates,
walked across the bridge and exited again at the new South Bank exit -
the walk through the NR/ Thameslink station cost nowt extra.

(For those who don't know, on the north side of the river, there are
seperate gatelines for the LU and NR stations.)

I have to say that, coming out of the LU gates I'm not sure there'll
be that much of an draw to walking along the platform through the NR/
Thameslink station rather than just walking across Blackfriars Bridge
- that is when the pavement on the eastern side reopens (it's closed
to facilitate station rebuilding works) - unless of course it's
precipitating felines and canines. When coming from the South Bank
then I guess the new entrance might draw more people in, particularly
if it features an LU roundel and signage - I didn't look for one today
(but if it's planned then I doubt it's there yet).