Old February 21st 12, 12:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Blackfriars has re-opened

On Feb 20, 4:54*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:59:23 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote:

This is beginning to sound awfully like the mess that was created at
Southwark LU / Waterloo East when South Eastern stuck a new gateline
in. *There is a special Oyster charge levied to allow people to walk
through Southwark to reach the street. *The reverse situation applies
here with the exit route via FCC's station although I guess you can
argue that people should walk across the road bridge and enter at the
right ticket hall rather than use FCC's platforms as a walking route.

Is the Southwark situation really a 'special charge' though, or is it the
same as what you'd be charged if you entered and left any station in the 2 -
30 min bracket?

There is a special charge - I only realised there was when I saw an
official document. It's a platform ticket charged at 20p rather than
£1. I don't know what the NR rate is for a platform ticket these days.

The 20p charge is for a printed/paper platform ticket (accessible on
Tube ticket machines via the 'Extensions & other tickets' option or
something like that). As I describe in my other post there's no charge
whatsoever when using Oyster for walking through Southwark Tube
station from one entrance to the other (I haven't tried entering and
then exiting via the same gateline at Southwark so it's possible that
ain't free).

This is what we discussed regarding Blackfriars after FCC
mentioned on their website that using their station as a thoroughfare would
incur a 'penalty'. *We came to the conclusion that it was no different to
any other station - just that people aren't in the habit of walking straight
through in most places. *But apparently there are posters at Canary Wharf
advising of a 'pass through' charge?

No it is different to the "change your mind / there is no train
service" rule when using Oyster PAYG to exit having previously entered
at the same station.

I'm not aware of any issue at Canary Wharf but I'm due there on Friday
afternoon so I shall keep my eyes open.

At Canary Wharf there were (not sure if they're still there) posters
which used the phrase "platform ticket" to describe the charge that a
punter would be levied on their Oyster card for entering at one
gateline and exiting at another - one can well imagine people doing
this between the main gateline at the western end and the eastern
Upper Bank Street gateline, what with all the direct subterranean
links to adjacent offices and the shopping malls that lead off from
the Tube station complex. (I imagine the phrase "platform ticket" was
used simply because it conveyed the meaning well, rather than being a
super accurate technical description.)