Old February 22nd 12, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Trip report: Stratford

I had some time to spare today, so I thought I'd have a look round
Stratford. Arrived by Overground and took the "Westfield" exit direct
into the shopping mall. Which is far bigger than I was expecting.

Walked through to the entrance of the Olympic Park, and I can see what
people mean by visitors being "channelled" past the shops. Although you
can do most of it outdoors if you want.

Not far away from the park entrance is the International station, and I
enquired if I could use my [outboundary] Travelcard to get back to St
Pancras. Apparently not; "This is a premium service Sir". I knew that,
but just wanted to hear what they said.

So what about a supplement?

They said they can only upgrade Travelcards that aren't valid on HS1. By
which they mean say "Not HS1" - if it says "Any Permitted" then it's
also not valid on HS1, but can't be upgraded. (Everyone following this?)

But the ~£5 supplement (if you have one of these "Not HS1" Travelcards
which are apparently issued from stations in Kent) is about the same as
buying a complete new ticket, and the supplemented Travlecard is only
valid for one return trip from Stratford to St Pancras, whereas a
genuine "&HS1" (or whatever it's called Travelcard could be used for as
many trips as you wanted.

On the way out, I went all the way through the crescent-shaped shopping
centre again, and this time encountered the bridge over the tracks with
the "open air" escalators on the south side. From that side the station
is completely transformed from what I knew before, with a low-level
atrium for the N-S lines (Overground being W-E and upstairs).

Overall, the Olympic Park is much further away from Stratford Station
than I was expecting - ten minutes walk perhaps. Nothing like North
Greenwich and the Dome.