Old February 25th 12, 02:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Adam H. Kerman Adam H. Kerman is offline

Default cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

Richard J. wrote:
Adam H. Kerman wrote on 24 February 2012 21:35:07 ...
Richard wrote:
Adam H. wrote on 24 February 2012 21:20:08 ...
Stephen wrote:
On 24-Feb-12 09:01, d wrote:
Robert wrote:
wrote:

He must be one of those bloody annoying people who insist on paying
for a 2.50 sandwich with a credit card and causing a huge queue of
****ed off hungry customers behind him.

That may have been true 10 years ago. Current terminals handle credit
card transactions far faster than cash and in most cases, don't even
require a signature if the value is under a certain threshold.

Hand cash over - walk out. If you can do that faster with a credit
card then I'd be interesting in hearing your technique.

In the US (and Canada, IIRC), sales tax is not included in the posted
price, so a customer doesn't know how much cash to hand over until the
total is computed by the cash register. Then, either the customer has
to count out the correct payment or the cashier has to count out the
correct change for a large bill.

Swiping a card is faster--much faster if the transaction total is under
the merchant's "floor", i.e. doesn't require a signature/PIN.

What credit card transaction requires a PIN? Those are strictly for
debit card transactions.

If you're continuing the cross-posting to uk.transport.london, you might
at least attempt to define which country you're claiming to talk about,
because it certainly isn't the UK.

It was a followup to Stephen Sprunk's article, in which he described
the United States. You might read my remarks in context.

The context is a thread . . .

Let me stop you there. The context is in the two paragraphs I quoted
from Stephen Sprunk's article immediately ahead of my followup. If
you raise your eyeballs a tiny bit, you'll notice it.

The fact that you are in a different country from me doesn't change the
need to read remarks in context.