Old February 25th 12, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
lonelytraveller lonelytraveller is offline

Default Blackfriars has re-opened

Ok, I've had a gander, and 4 questions strike me:

(a) The south entrance is nicely covered in brickwork, and
fascinatingly inside the bridge itself, visibly. But there used to be
really pretty arches -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianvisits/6716393459/

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/ima...o117,o97,j.jpg

Were these destroyed? And why were they not reconstructed, or exposed
for display for the station (particularly the first)?

(b) The tube station has fire exits from the platforms. Why does the
fire exit on the Westbound platform go down, when the fire exit on the
Eastbound platform goes up?

(c) The ticket office has a balcony above it, and there's a blue tube.
Its subtle, but on the mockups, there is a public spiral staircase
round the blue tube. Whats it for, and what is the purpose of the
balcony?

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1...friars1mp5.jpg

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/...65c77bfc06.jpg

(d) The ticket office used to be 1 floor below ground level
(connecting to the passage under the road), and now its on ground
level, so how come the stairs seem to be the same length, and only
about one floor long?