Old February 25th 12, 02:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Graham Nye Graham Nye is offline

Default cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On 25/02/2012 14:13, wrote:
On 24/02/2012 23:00, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Swiping a card is faster--much faster if the transaction total is under
the merchant's "floor", i.e. doesn't require a signature/PIN.

I have no idea if a PIN would be required if you swiped it at a
US retail terminal.

No, UK credit cards also have a magnetic stripe on the back, so they can
be swiped through a US retail terminal. You just have to sign on the
transaction, rather than use your PIN.

Only if, as above, the transaction is above the merchant's floor limit.
When using my UK credit card in the US I only needed to sign for some
transactions.

The occasional machine, e.g. at gas stations, wanted to know my home
zip code (which, of course, I don't have) but I was able to pay in
the kiosk. (US gas stations need payment before dispensing fuel,
rather than afterwards, as in the UK.)

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk