Old February 22nd 04, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Queenstown Road

On 21 Feb 2004 18:30:38 GMT, (Mait001) wrote:

That's your opinion, but a remote Scotsman is (in my opinion) still more likely
to share my language than someone from abroad.

How about someone from the Gaelic-seaking Hebrides and an Irishman
from (non-Irish speaking except maybe in school) Dublin?

I can understand many Dutchmen speaking English as a second language
better than I can many Britons speaking it as their first. I've found
it easier to ask for help from staff at Utrecht Centraal than at
Clapham Junction...

Historical experience

Well, most parts of the UK have fought wars against most other parts,
but then the same is true of Europe.

Yes, but for the last few centuries have fought was TOGETHER, and AGAINST most
of those European countries who are now attempting to govern us.

Of the current EU, since 1900 the UK has fought against Germany,
Austria, Finland*, Italy

The UK has fought together with France, Belgium, Luxembourg,
Netherlands, Denmark, Italy, Portugal.

There was also UK involvement in post-WWII Greece.

*Perhaps a bit of a special case. .

Currency & economy

This has never been true. The economy in the North is nothing like the
economy in the South.

There may be variations in the economy, but we share a currency AND a unified
economic policy e.g. interest rates etc.

Spain and Finland share a currency. They even have the same bank
notes, so no "Scottish pound note" problems.

Philosophical outlook on World affairs

Really? I think we're as divided in the UK as any other European
country.

Well we still have a U.K.-based foreign policy.

Only because that is how things are set up at the moment.
Traditionally the Scots have been more friendly towards the French
than the English

I made the point advisedly, in an "E.U." context. All of those pettifogging
rules imposed by the E.U. (everything from the shape of bananas to the colur of
paraffin, to more serious matters like fishing quotas) we rigidly impose and
obey, since that is what we (in the U.K.) perceive to be the right and fair
thing to do.

Even ignoring the tabloid inventions, many of these "European" rules
are British gold-plating. By blaiming them on "Europe" the politicans
can shift debate away from themselves. Look at how 91/440 is used to
try to wriggle out of what Britain did to its railways.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK