Old February 25th 12, 09:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Stephen Sprunk Stephen Sprunk is offline

Default cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On 25-Feb-12 15:45, John Levine wrote:
Not actually come across any contactless credit cards in the wild yet.
On-line you need a different PIN, aka a security code.

I have a contactless AmEx in the U.S. which I can tap at the till in
my local Wegmans supermarket (sort of like if Waitrose was owned by a
family of Italian-Americans) and many convenience stores. Wegmans
don't require a signature up to $50, tap or swipe.

So, that just means their floor is apparently $50; whether the card
number is acquired via tap, swipe or imprint is irrelevant to
that--though it affects the merchant's rate and liability.

I really don't understand the resistance of US banks to chip+pin
cards.

Apparently, our banks don't think that the (minuscule) projected
reduction in fraud is worth the cost, and so far they haven't yet
managed to bribe Congress into letting them use EMV as an excuse to dump
that liability on consumers--shocking, considering how corrupt those
buffoons usually are.