Old February 26th 12, 03:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

In message , at 15:44:06 on Sun, 26 Feb
2012, Adam H. Kerman remarked:
I was under the impression that merchant agreements in the USA did not
allow them to ask for ID. How they resolve flagged transactions, if
that's the case, isn't my problem.

Your card issuer didn't know you were traveling for whatever reason,
so the transaction appeared to be suspicious as it occurred in a
location they didn't expect it to be used in. Doesn't that sound
reasonable to you?

Yes and no. I'm a frequent traveller, and that credit card is an
affinity card for a global hotel/flyer club. They should not be
surprised if I travel (and have plenty of evidence that I do).

I'm certainly not going to ring the bank every time I head for the
airport. And this was the first time in years that any of my credit
cards was flagged just because I was travelling.

(I have had other cards flagged because I have dared sit at home and
book more than two flights in a day... but that's another story).

http://consumerist.com/2008/02/apple...agreement.html

I'm not reading that article, irrelevant to your situation.

You should, because it explains why they may have been outside their
remit in asking for ID.