Old February 26th 12, 04:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
John Levine John Levine is offline

Default cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

Aside from our lack of EMV, things aren't done differently in the US;
don't take Adam's misunderstandings as authoritative.

In places with chip+pin it's much more common to arrange payments so
they can be done in one transaction. At restaurants, for example,
they typically hand you the card terminal so you can stick your card
in, enter a tip if you want, then your pin, then it says yes or no and
you take your card out.

The only places I can think of offhand that do a separate authorization are
hotels, where the charges are likely to happen over multiple days.

R's,
John
--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",