Old February 26th 12, 05:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On 26/02/2012 10:42, Roland Perry wrote:
In , at 00:22:12 on Sun, 26
Feb 2012, remarked:
UK credit cards and proximity cards are different things.

They are "converging things". I don't know of any post-payment proximity
cards that aren't also conventional credit cards. But only a few
conventional credit cards have the proximity technology.

Barclays Bank, IIRC.

Barclaycards, which were at one time all VISA, but I have a Barclay
Mastercard, just to prove it's possible.

I was referring to the fact that Barclays Bank apparently offers the
proximity service with its card.

It is well known to do so. But there are others. This news story
clarifies many of the myths expressed in this thread:

http://www.mbna.co.uk/about-us/news-...ches-the-uk-s-
first-american-express-branded-contactless-credit-cards/

Haven't seen Amex with a proximity card yet, though will be sure to keep
an eye out.

Is there any sort of timeframe when other UK banks plan to introduce
proximity cards? Will they eventually serve as a replacement for Oyster
cards, as I have heard?