Old February 26th 12, 08:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Mark Goodge Mark Goodge is offline

Default cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:37:44 +0000, Roland Perry put finger to keyboard and
typed:

In message , at 13:59:20 on Sun, 26 Feb
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
Also, at least in the US, ATM cards have been mostly supplanted by debit
cards. Some "ATM" cards are really debit cards with a $0 "purchase"
limit. Some banks still issue real ATM cards on request, but many
can't/won't.

Cards that only work in ATMs are almost unknown in the UK. They are
usually general purpose debit cards too (and you can get cash advances
on credit cards).

You can get them on some savings accounts, in order to be able to withdraw
cash but not make payments. I've got one that works like that, although I
rarely use it.

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk