Old February 27th 12, 06:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Stephen Sprunk Stephen Sprunk is offline

Default cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On 27-Feb-12 11:46, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:07:03 on Mon, 27 Feb
2012, Stephen Sprunk remarked:
Note that failure of the consumer to pay their credit card bill does
_not_ result in a chargeback, contrary to Adam's ridiculous claims.

Indeed, as long as the failure to pay was "because I have no money",
rather than "because I dispute the charge".

When a customer disputes a credit card or charge card transaction, it is
removed from their bill until the matter is resolved, so it doesn't fit
the usual definition of "unpaid".

Nor is it "paid".

No. From the perspective of the customer's (credit) account, the
transaction simply ceases to exist until the dispute is resolved.

If the card company finds in favour of the consumer, I'm sure the
merchant doesn't get paid,

The merchant was _already_ paid, so if the dispute is resolved in favor
of the consumer _and_ the merchant is liable for the fraud, the
merchant's account is charged back.

whether the transaction was originally authorised or not.

Authorization is almost completely irrelevant to disputes of posted
transactions. At most, it'd be more difficult for the merchant to win a
dispute if they _didn't_ get authorization, but it's still entirely
possible.

(Authorizations themselves cannot be disputed, since no money actually
changes hands at that point and they expire within a few days anyway.)