Old February 28th 12, 06:47 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Charles Ellson Charles Ellson is offline

Default Freight on the Metropolitan Line?

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:44:06 +0000, Recliner
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:37:05 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:29:40 +0000
Recliner wrote:
According to wonkypedia the new S stock is 9 foot 7 wide which is about 5
inches wider than the class 378 NR stock on which its based, so the tradition
is being continued. Assuming the entry is correct of course.

I don't believe that the S stock is based on the 378s, which are an
Electrostar variant. Where did you read that they were? The S stock
is probably closer to its fellow Movia 2009 tube stock.

Going by IIRC Bombardier's website, a severe amount of dimensional
customisation is available with their Movia designs.

Can't remember offhand. I think I read it in one of the railway mags.
Still, its quite wide, though with the low floors the doors curve in at
the bottom and I don't reckon that'll be a comfortable place to stand in
crush conditions.

It can be wider as the carriages are shorter.

Not quite that simple - as in e.g. Mk3 stock, shaving the corners can
make a fair difference as can the interface between doorways and
platforms (if not limiting considerations to LU).