Old February 28th 12, 09:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On 28/02/2012 13:24, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Neil wrote:
"Adam H. wrote:

Uh, always? What do you do at a fuel station which requires a credit
card before dispensing fuel, or at a restaurant, when the tip amount
to be charged is not known until later

In the latter case, you usually enter the tip into the machine before
giving your PIN.

Interesting. Thank you.

Is the terminal the waiter brings to your table exchanging telemetry
wirelessly during the transaction, or does it have to be plugged into
a base station elsewhere in the restaurant? I assume it's wireless.

They are wireless, yes.

Are they robust enough to be used where fare collection with a hand-
held device is warranted, if gawd forbid we talk about transport, or
would a more robust hand-held device be used on trains?

They use different equipment on trains, and they are more robust. Don't
know how or even if they uplink to a computer when the train is moving.