Old February 29th 12, 07:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:24:29 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
wrote:
Is the terminal the waiter brings to your table exchanging telemetry
wirelessly during the transaction, or does it have to be plugged

into
a base station elsewhere in the restaurant? I assume it's wireless.

Yes it is.

Are they robust enough to be used where fare collection with a hand-
held device is warranted, if gawd forbid we talk about transport, or
would a more robust hand-held device be used on trains?

I've seen them used on trains (in the buffet car mainly), but more
common is an integrated ticket and payment machine. Traditionally
the railway did not pre-authorise at all (at their risk) but with
on-train Wi-Fi and mobile phone based devices this is likely to
change.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK