Old March 2nd 12, 01:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default In Greater London ?

On Mar 2, 11:53*am, wrote:
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:40:41 +0000

Mizter T wrote:
Point being, if Crossrail's going to Reading, then TfL will take Oyster
PAYG acceptance with it there - and the GWML operator will have to
accept Oyster PAYG to/from Reading. (Apart from anything else I'd be
pretty sure that DfT Rail would make this a franchise commitment.)

I wonder if its a good idea for crossrail to go as far out as it will. The
longer a line is the less reliable it becomes as there are more opportunities
for failure - look at thameslink.

An alternative view is the extending the Crossrail to Reading would
allow Crossrail to take (nearly) all the slots on the relief lines
allowing simplification of the service pattern as will be happening at
the eastern end. The problems with Thameslink are more due to the
complex network in the south of London, with many junctions to
negotiate.

Is crossrail being built to take the pressure off the central line or is it meant to be simply an east-west thameslink
service?

Surely it is designed to do both, linking the extremities into central
London better as well as relieving the Central line.