Old March 9th 12, 08:37 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Why The Circle Line?

mark townend wrote on 09 March 2012 17:08:32 ...
On Mar 9, 12:08 pm, wrote:
On Mar 9, 11:46 am, mark wrote:

On Mar 8, 5:54 pm, wrote:

On Thursday, 8 March 2012 15:56:21 UTC, Ian wrote:
"mark wrote in message
On Mar 8, 3:23 pm, wrote:

Better. Try again. Hint: remember a shirt has ONE Collar and TWO Sleeves.

Revision 2
http://www.townend.me/files/circlenorth.pdf

I suspect it may be necessary to do Revision 3..... )
--

Are there *any* words in the English language where a double "C" makes an "S" (as opposed to a "K" or "X") sound? I doubt there is.

Was completely blind to this one - I think I may have accidentally
clicked ignore in spell-checking.

One other thing: Use of the ampersand (&) should be confined to titles and headings, etc. In normal text, you should always write the word "and" out in full.

Ampersands removed as suggested.

http://www.townend.me/files/circlenorth.pdf

Your H&C and Circle Line descent from Edgware Road to Baker Street may
be impractical. The existing route already descends steeply.

Alternatively, an overpass over Baker Street Junction, constructed in
a shallow cut& cover, possibly with the road above raised marginally
to accomodate if neccessary.

Baker Street Junction is only just below the road surface, so any
overpass would be at street level, and the road would need far more than
"marginal" elevation.

I'm not convinced that the descent from Edgware Road is all that steep.
The ground above it doesn't seem to fall very much. I reckon that
people think it's steep because of the severe eastbound speed
restriction, but that's because the head of platform 5 is so close to
the junction. Compared to Blackfriars to City Thameslink, it looks
almost flat.
--
Richard J.