Old March 10th 12, 01:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Ross[_3_] Ross[_3_] is offline

Default German fare dodgers cause headache for public transport operators - The Guardian

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 22:55:22 +0000 (UTC) [UTC], Hans-Joachim Zierke
wrote:
Ross schrieb:

Yeah, but WienerLinien carefully forget to mention that they announce
most of the routes on which they'll be checking tickets in advance, so
it's really only the stupid who get caught.

Do you really think, that most fare dodgers follow the announcements?

I'm aware from professional experience that fare evaders are very
quick to latch onto anything which helps them evade payment of fares.

A quick check of a website on the nice snazzy iPhone or similar that
many people now have is rather easy, y'know.

I don't think so.

Mileage varies.

[...]
Since you work on the railroads, you might not sense the low importance
given to it by most users ... as long as everything works.

Most users are not fare evaders. Please don't assume that fare evaders
attach importance to the same things as "most users".

The actual level of "black riding", fare evasion, is almost certainly
higher than they choose to acknowledge.

The number /always/ mentions the fare dodgers, who get caught.

Meaningless, in context.

The
percentage, who don't get caught, will be a lot higher on British buses
than on Wiener Linien.

Care to provide some evidence for that claim?

Have you actually got any idea how revenue collection is generally
handled on British buses, HaJo?
Clue: the London "pay before you board" area is not the way the rest
of the country works.

If they were serious about fare evasion, they wouldn't announce any of
their checks - and they'd do a heck of a lot more of them.

They should do some more, but as a rule of thumb, bringing fare dodging
under 2% is unprofitable.

I'm well aware of that. I'm also, based on my own professional
instincts and observations, aware that fare evasion in Wien is higher
than the low percentage they claim it to be.

--
Ross

Speaking for me, myself and I. Nobody else
- unless I make it clear that I am...