Old March 11th 12, 09:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Phil[_6_] Phil[_6_] is offline

Default card numbers, was cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

Miles Bader writes:

Phil writes:
Miles Bader writes:
As Brewers law states, the quality of the beer is inversely proportional
to the price.

Hmm, I don't think I've _ever_ lived in a place where that's true...

It is almost always true, posh hotels very rarely sell proper beer, and
if they do it use usually something bland and not very well kept. It is
usually just lager and keg beer.

Go to a local pub however and the beer will be proper, often local.

No doubt, but that doesn't generalize -- the cheapest beer is still
typically the nastiest (bars/pubs where the emphasis is on "get you
drunk / get in a fight").

I was refering to the price of the accomodation rather than the
beer. Some of the best places to stay are pubs that have a few rooms.
On personal trips the CAMRA Good Beer Guide has never let me down when
finding somewhere to stay.

In my experience, the price of beer doesn't vary much within a region,
and in 30 plus years of beer drinking I have never seen, let alone been
involved in a fight in a pub.

The places where the emphasis is on getting drunk usually only sell
lager or gas beer, call themselves bars and are in converted shops.

Phil