Old March 12th 12, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Ian[_2_] Ian[_2_] is offline

Default Full hybrid buses

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 12/03/2012 09:44, d wrote:
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:20:16 -0700 (PDT)
Mizter wrote:
Hybrid buses in use

There are 225 diesel-electric hybrid buses in London, running on
routes 3, 12, 15, 16, 24, 76, 94, R70, 139, 141, 149, 380, 328, 360,
371, H91, E8, 73, 436 and 188.

The 225 hybrid buses operating in London are split between 7 bus
operating companies and 10 different types of hybrid buses.
---/quote---

Hybrid buses get a big thumbs up from me.

On a related note , what happened to those hydrogen buses that were
plying
their trade around central london about 8 years back and that Mayor Ken
made
such a big deal about at the time? Were they sold, scrapped, or just left
in a
depot to rot?

Presumably they could have been converted back to conventional fuel. We
had some Dennis Darts in Southampton running on hydrogen around the same
time. They disappeared at the same time as their conventional
counterparts.

If you mean the ones I think you mean, they were running on liquid natural
gas or somesuch. Ruddy great tanks on the roof, made them the nearest you'd
get these days to driving a trolleybus, and the tanks held enough gas for
3/4 of a day's work.

http://www.henden.co.uk/303and117.jpg
http://www.henden.co.uk/117and303.jpg

Fire Brigade: -"We must turn the gas off. Wheres the tap?"
Onlooking Driver:- "On the back of the front bus. Squashed up against the
back bus."

)